Friday, October 10, 2008

New List: Children's Books with Deaf Characters

While my primary focus is adolescent and Young Adult chapter books, I have added information about children's literature from time to time. I encourage you to visit my 100+ and Counting List which includes Juvenile (early chapter books- some with illustrations).


This is a new list that I will add titles to as I find them. This is NOT a comprehensive list of children's books with Deaf Characters. I have included books that I consider "contemporary". I usually do not include books that are out-of-print or unavailable.
  1. Antoinette Abbamonte, Tree Wise (2007)

  2. Sally Hobart Alexander & Robert Alexander, She Touched the World: Laura Bridgman, Deaf-Blind Pioneer (2008)

  3. Canadian Cultural Society of the Deaf, The Smart Princess and Other Deaf Tales (2006)

  4. Cece Bell, El Deafo (2014)
  5. Claire H. Blatchford, Going With the Flow (1998)- deaf author

  6. Elizabeth Boschini & Rachel Chaikof-deaf author with C.I., Ellie's Ears (2008)- deaf character with C.I.

  7. Merilee Dodson, Kids from Critter Cove (2007)-The purpose of this book is to teach children about people who are different or who have disabilities.
  8. Joyce Dunbar, Moonbird (2007 reprint)
  9. Linda Kurtz Kingsley, Signs of Jays (2008)

  10. Patricia Lakin, Dad and Me in the Morning (1994)

  11. Laila Laván and Beatriz Iglesias, Lucy: Loud and Clear / Lucía: alto y claro (2007)

  12. Jeanne M. Lee, Silent Lotus (1994)

  13. Emily Arnold McCully, My Heart Glow: Alice Cogswell, Thomas Gallaudet, and the Birth of American Sign Language (2008)

  14. Isaac Millman, Moses Goes To a Concert (1980)

  15. Isaac Millman, Moses Goes to School (2000)

  16. Isaac Millman, Moses Goes to the Circus (2003)

  17. Isaac Millman, Moses Sees a Play (2004)
  18. Jennifer Moore-Mallinos, I Am Deaf (Live and Learn Series) (March 2009)

  19. Anita Riggio, Secret Signs: Escape Through the Underground Railroad (2002)

  20. Pete Seeger & Paul Dubois Jacobs, Deaf Musicians (2006)-ALA honored book

  21. Andrea Stenn Stryer, Kami and the Yaks (2007)

  22. Myron Uhlberg, Dad, Jackie, and Me (2005)

  23. Myron Uhlberg, Flying over Brooklyn (1999)

  24. Myron Uhlberg, The Printer (2003)
  25. Mike Venezia, Alexander Graham Bell: Setting the Tone for Communication (Getting to Know the World's Greatest Inventors and Scientists) (2008)

  26. Valentine, Dina the Deaf Dinosaur (1997)

8 comments:

MB said...

It was great meeting you in Richmond last weekend!

Marielle is almost 2. We already have some of these books for when she's older -- what's a good one for the really young kids?

Sharon Pajka,Ph.D. said...

I think Patricia Lakin's Dad and Me in the Morning would be a nice book because it is about spending time with a parent (a father)so Marielle would have the experience of waking up (maybe not going to a beach) and spending time with a loved one. I also think that Myron Uhlberg's Flying over Brooklyn would be fun in the winter. Although we don't have snowstorms like they do in New York, she would understand the concept of snow and winter... and flying over a city is fun for all of us:)

wrigleyfield said...

Another one, just published in the U.S., is _Oranges in No Man's Land_ by Elizabeth Laird. I liked it quite a lot.

Lisa said...

Thank you for this list - I want to read some of these books with my hearing daughter.

Sharon Pajka,Ph.D. said...

Wrigleyfield, which characters in Laird's Oranges in No Man's Land are deaf?

Anonymous said...

Another wonderful picture book for elementary age children is Mandy by Barbara Booth, 1991. The author does a good job of showing hearing children some of the ways in which the deaf experience the world differently.
Ann in Chatham

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I think it's wonderful that you've comprised this list. I'm currently involved in Deaf 485 at CSUN, which is Issues in American Sign Language. My instructor has consistently touched base on oppression and linguicism. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about the Deaf literature you did find? Somewhere along that journeey, did you find Deaf literature that painted the wrong self-identity for Deaf individuals, such as literature focusing only medically on the ear or promoting only learning speech? I would love to be able to interview you or have an e-mail conversation with you.

If you have the time, you can email me at: Expressednwords@aol.com. I hope to talk to you!

By the way, my name is Catie.

Take care!

IWS said...

Harmony Hears a Hoot by Fara Augustover would be a great addition to the list!