Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Reading...Reading...Reading

I finished Josh Swiller's The Unheard this morning.... I'm still in shock. I have had the book sitting on my nightstand for weeks now. Deaf Character books end up trumping all other books.... but after his presentation at Gallaudet University, I devoured the book! I think it is one of the best I've read all year. Not one of the best with a deaf person or deaf character, but one of the best (period).

This morning I received Paul Rowe's The Silent Time. I'm already on the third chapter and I haven't even boarded the train.

The Silent Time by Paul Rowe (September 2007)
Paperback: 200 pages
Publisher: Killick Press

In the early 1930s, the small independent nation of Newfoundland is entering a silent time, about to submit to a form of dictatorship in order to resolve its straightened financial circumstances. As a result, Dulcie Merrigan, a young deaf girl living on a remote shore is being denied her right to an education. Neither she nor her mother, Leona, can successfully contend with the political and economic forces that so drastically affect their lives. After turning in vain to her friend and political representative, William Cantwell, Leona realizes that the time has come to unearth her tragic past. Specifically, a stolen shipment of valuable postage stamps, a remnant of the painful silent time that she herself endured, lies hidden in a nearby wood. Will they hold the key to Dulcies last chance for liberation and education?

No comments: