Saturday, August 16, 2008

Sunrise, Conference, Deaf Author, Fireworks.... literally

Va Beach Sun Rise
View SlideShare presentation or Upload your own.
I can't think of a better way to end the summer than the Pathways to Possibilities Conference in Virginia Beach. I attended some amazing presentations including former principal/educator/ mentor (etc. etc.) Rachel Bavister's "From the Inside Looking Out" and my current colleague and friend Tim Anderson's "Grasping the Future Now" on preparing students for college literacy.

While even my husband knows that I have a "professional" crush on Deaf Author Josh Swiller, my post title is literal; I actually saw fireworks!
On Wednesday night, I couldn't sleep well. That usually happens before I give a presentation... and this one was particularly frightening with former teachers and mentors in the audience. So around 5am on Thursday morning, I decided that I NEEDED to go to the beach to see the sunrise. My perfect morning turned into a perfect day.

That afternoon, Josh Swiller closed the Deaf/HH strand of the conference with his presentation, "Living Without Limits: One Man's Story". If you've followed my blog for a while, you know that I can certainly go on and on about some authors. Mr. Swiller is no exception. He has a great book; he is a great storyteller; and, he is just fun to be around. But I'll let you read past posts (note the plural form and how I oddly don't even feel embarrassed: gushing post 1; gushing post 2; gushing post 3) for the gushing. Come on, how can you not adore a man who adds the word 'discombobulated' into his presentation just for fun?!?

The perfect day concluded with seeing fireworks on my drive home. What a perfect way to close summer:) In the next few weeks, the 5th issue of my YADC newsletter will be out. I'll add it on slideshare but if you'd like it sent to your email, just send me a note. Also, you'll be able to read my interview with the author who just stole my heart when we met, Myron Uhlberg about his upcoming memoir. In the meantime, if you know of some books with Deaf Characters that aren't added on my list, please send me an email. Below is my handout from my presentation and my PowerPoint slide.

No comments: