Saturday, December 22, 2007

Books for Christmas

In Mary Riskind's Apple Is My Sign (reprinted 1993), there is a scene when Harry is going home for Christmas break and he forgets his hat on the train. He goes back to retrieve it and instead of quickly and quietly leaving the train he stomps his foot to gain everyone’s attention and signs “I’m going home for Christmas vacation. Merry Christmas”. He waves to the passengers. Many of the hearing people wave back to him (Riskind, 75-80). That passage resonates with me this Christmas as I'm preparing to take my own train trip. Unlike Harry who chatted with his friend Agnes, I'll probably have my nose in a book!

Here is a book that you may want to pick up for Christmas:

A Chicken Soup for the Soul Christmas (Chicken Soup for the Soul)-- first mentioned on this blog on September 8th
by Jack Canfield & Mark Victor Hansen
Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: HCI (October 15, 2007) ISBN-10: 0757306462
Includes the selection "The Sound & Spirit of Christmas Through theEars of a Deaf Woman" beginning on page 235.

No comments: